Friday, February 24, 2012

Hannah's First Official Science Project

 Now that Hannah is in Kindergarten, she is being challenged with some pretty big things!  Like her first "Great Brain Fair" at her school!!!  Hannah answered with some pretty big request too... one of my favorites was "I want to make a tornado in a bottle and then open it and have it come out onto the table."  Ummmmmm....  Maybe.
 Instead we agreed to make our own paint and then see what happens when we mix all of the colors.  Not as cool as an actual tornado on the table, but we had a lot of fun and it turned out awesome!!
 Making our own paint was SO easy, but I think I should have taken it off of the stove about 30seconds sooner because it ended up a little clumpy.  :)
 Then came time to work on her presentation board.  I saw this really cool project online the other day, so we decided to try it with the word "Colors" (which was the title we decided on).
 Hannah did most of the weaving herself!  I think I am going to pick some kind of inspiring word and give this a try to hang on our wall at home.  It turned out awesome and really didn't take that long.  The best part it, there is no rhyme or reason to the weaving back and forth between the nails so it is actually really easy and fun!
 Hannah worked really hard on all of the words for her different categories.
 Then she helped work on the layout...
 Tada!  The finished product...  Turned out REALLY awesome!  Hannah was so excited!  Before she went to school, she was sitting down quietly looking at it.  I asked if anything was wrong, and she just responded... "No Mom....  I'm just proud."  SO sweet if you ask me.  It made my heart happy to see that all of Hannah's hard work and a little of our help paid off.  John and I felt a little silly as we stayed up until midnight waiting for glue to dry etc... I mean this is a Kindergarten project, Lol! :)  But in the end it was definitely worth it to see such a sense of accomplishment in her face on the way to school!
 The icing on the cake was that our entire family got to go to the science fair at Hannah's school to check out all of the neat projects!
 We went straight to Hannah's where she explained how she got to present her project in class and the entire class gave her a round of applause! :)  
 Yep... Proud.  Will make a Mom's heart melt. :)
They didn't have awards, but everyone received "A Great Brain 2012" ribbon and Hannah was quite satisfied!  Afterwards we went to Miss.Ellie's cupcakes to celebrate!  Definitely a success!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Love, love, love this post! Great to see all the girls, and I loved Hannah's project, especially the color's weaving. Did you use yarn for that? If you have a link or description of how to do that, can you send it to me? So wish we could visit - Annie would have so much fun with the girls! I would too!Some day... and yes, you were made for California!!! I have 3 friends that are nurses here if you ever want me to scope out the job market... LOL

John, Christina, Hannah, Aspen, Brooke, and Taylor said...

Hi Aunt Kathy!! I sent you the link on Facebook to the site where we got the idea! She has written step by step instructions (We used embroidery floss). We changed a few things, but it is a pretty flexible process :) We would LOVE for you guys to visit and I can guarantee the second we go to California we will be knocking on your door! :) I would really like for the girls to meet/spent time with you and Annie, as would I! Absolutely one of these days! I mean with 4 girls we HAVE to go to Disneyland at some point and you guys are about half way! It will be a nice stopping point! Then we'll finish at Aunt Diana's!

I will definitely use any connections I can for work... As soon as I convince my husband to move there with me! ;)
Love you! Let me know how it turns out if you decide to do one... As soon as I find the time I'll send pics of mine too!