Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Now what?

The very proud Hannah herself! If someone was there to take my picture you would see I was even more proud of myself for what I thought was the beginning of a completely successful potty training session!

Above is the look of satisfaction while chewing on a strawberry mentos after going "Pee pee" on the potty! Oh yes... it's that time again. Buying diapers for your child gets really old really fast when you know they know how to use the potty but refuse to!

Our pediatricians suggestion... Guaranteeing me success by the way... Load Hannah with liquids, Let her run around in her birthday suit (at least the lower half), be willing to clean your carpets, but give it 6 straight hours or a stay at home weekend and "pee pee" in the potty is what you'll get... even #2, but I'll spare most of the details! =)


So one of the bazillion benefits of being a stay at home mom means I can choose a day to bust out all of the various drinks a 2yr old likes, have the option of cleaning the carpets (due to the previous loaning of a carpet cleaner when Hannah made mud pies out of the dumb cane pot), and face this potty training thing head on! Remember the pediatrician guaranteed me!


Lunchtime! Yep pushing the liquids even then! I'm surprised she had any room for food!

And success came quick! Shortly after the first "pee pee" in the potty, I left the room to grab a toy only to return to a solo celebration by Hannah because she had went in the potty all on her own!


Sticker chart... Huge success! I found in online and printed it for free! But what you see above is what you get! Hannah caught on real quick and realized I WANTED her to "pee pee" in the potty! Prior to that I can only assume she thought she had figured out something on her own to do that resulted in praise, stickers, or candy. As soon as she realized it was all a ploy by me to get results I wanted, she marched into her room and grabbed a diaper and pants, promtly brought them to me and requested I put them on. After a short struggle and my complete failure to persuade her to continue our fun "game," I placed her back in her diaper and pants. I know if I made her miserable or her potty completely negative I'd never get her on again! What a frustration though! It's obvious she knows what to do and when she should do it... but isn't willing to! Now what?






2 comments:

Lorelei said...

I feel like this is a great sumbolism of the rebellious generation we're pastoring, the one we came out of, too. Many of them know what it would take to step out of the limitation of sin (diapers) and how to walk in maturity and righteousness (potty training). great lesson, thank you Hannah!

Anonymous said...

How about a visit from the "Diaper Fairy"? When Jack was 2 we decided it was time to abandon the pacifier. We told him that the pacifier fairy would come and take his plug and leave a gift. It took one day and he never asked for it again. ??? Just a thought. I'll not be foolish enough to garauntee it. There may be night time issues though if she's not actually able to go all night. ???