Friday, February 06, 2009

Remembering Susie...

Hannah's first fish. Last night as we said our prayers Hannah asked if we could pray for Susie her fish. I gladly but cautiously prayed... I had to wonder why after all of this time Hannah all of a sudden wanted to pray for Susie, I chose my words carefuly making sure not to promise health or a long life for our little friend. I should have known. As I walked into Hannah's room this morning... Susie was dead.
Hannah took the news as well as a 3yr old could with about 20minutes of heartbreaking sobbing. I snuggled and held her tight as she told me how she was going to miss Susie and how Susie was going to miss her etc.. Then came the big question... Not "why" did Susie die (I answered that with ease) but "How" did Susie die? Fortunately Hannah came to the conclusion herself. About 6months ago Hannah found the package containing the leftover rocks from the bottom of Susie's bowl.. I only found this out as she rounded the corner into the office drooling and not breathing. As I quickly flipped her over and squeezed hard... out popped the rock, thus triggering our first discussion about death and what it meant... exactly. So after much thought Hannah decided Susie must have swallowed one of the rocks... I'm sure remembering my intense, panicked, somewhat threatening conversation we had about death after putting things in our mouth. But what can I say? She's satisfied with the cause of death and so am I!
We waited until John came home to send Susie to that great ocean only found by being flushed in the toilet. It went pretty well....
This is John explaining to Hannah what is going to happen... at this point she is sobbing again, but there is no turning back. (Especially since I am documenting this instead of comforting my daughter!)

The pouring of Susie and the contents of her bowl into the toilet... this intensified the sobbing..

Hannah taking one last look at Susie (and the floating leaves that fell off of the plant, that we wonder if they actually turned Susies water into a toxic environment since 3 have been floating in there for a few days?)


And what a brave girl... When given the choice Hannah wanted to do the flushing. Overall it went really well. After all was done we had lots of snuggle time (can never complain) and Hannah's biggest concern was that Susie would finally make it to the ocean and Susie's family would see her dead. How sweet... Hannah was concerned about how the fish would feel on the other side this situation, she's so sweet!


So goodbye Susie! You were a great first fish! ;)




No comments: