Monday, November 03, 2008

Are you willing to loose in order to win?

Alright so I know this is Hannah's blog, but I don't have one of my own so here comes the adult post! =)

Drum roll please....................................
I (Christina) who is 28yrs old and John who is 30 years old will vote for the very first time in our lives since we were legal. Some may say "Are you kidding me?" Nope... not at all. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I felt a tugging to even take part in this election. Call me crazy, but it's true.

There are some who have been following this election since it started and people like me who still haven't a clue what a democrat or republican is? But as I catch glimpses of the news casters predicting that Obama will win, I can't help but ask myself.... Am I willing to loose in order to win?
The answer to that is ABSOLUTELY without a doubt!

With only 2 weeks to make a decision I have not researched the hundreds of conflicts or different thing each candidate stands for. I went for what matters most to me. It took less than a heartbeat for me to decide who to vote for based on two simple paragraphs regarding the candidates reply when questioned about 1 moral issue in particular... Abortion.

McCain:

The senator has a strong pro-life record and supports overturning Roe v. Wade. He is in favor of federal restrictions limiting abortion, as well as a constitutional amendment banning most abortions, except in cases of rape, incest, or life-threatening risks to the mother. His selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, who is also strongly pro-life, has energized value voters who may have been uncertain about McCain's pro-life commitment.
McCain Quote:
"I will be a pro-life President and this presidency will have pro-life policies. That's my commitment to you."
McCain says he believes life begins at the moment of conception.



Obama:
The senator is a staunch supporter of abortion rights. He supports Roe v. Wade and would seek Supreme Court nominees who would uphold that law. He also favors insurance coverage and government funding for abortions. He has advocated instead working to reduce abortions nationally.
Quote: "I am in favor, for example of limits on late term abortions if there is an exception for the mother's health. From the perspective of those who are pro-life, I think they would consider that inadequate. And I respect their views. What I can do is say there are ways we can work together to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, so that we actually are reducing the sense that women are seeking out abortions."
Obama has said he does not know when human life begins, saying that the answer to that is "above my pay grade."

Let me tell you this people.... If taxes are increased... we'll survive. If Health care policies get worse... we'll survive. If immigration laws become more leniant or more strict... we'll survive. If the economy, or education, or social security all take a turn for the worse... WE WILL SURVIVE IT! But if Roe vs. Wade is continued to be supported and Supreme court nominees who would uphold that law would be sought out to be elected.... MILLIONS more will NOT survive.

Not a tough decision in my book. So am I willing to be on the loosing team tomorrow so that I will win? Yes. How will I win if McCain looses? Because I stood up for what I know is right. I attempted to make a difference, and even if it doesn't pay off.... I didn't just sit back and watch Obama get elected.

Point... Go vote tomorrow, especially if you are willing to loose in order to win. No pre-registration needed (I know because I decided to vote too late to register ahead of time) Just take you drivers license, proof of residency, and whatever else your state requires to the poll you are assigned to and walk away knowing you did your best to make a difference.

So McCain... Win or Loose tomorrow, you've got my vote.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make a good point Chrissy, I wish I could feel as strong about anything as you do....however it doesn't seem right to weigh your vote on one single aspect....Obama is getting my vote for his overall views....I agree with 90% of his plans and disagree with 90% of Mccains....the other 10% should sway my vote or anyones vote for that matter....

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't sway my vote is what I meant not should

Amanda Schaffan said...

i totally agree with you Christina, i just finished an English report about the two candidates, and i learned a lot about their opinions. i really believe you are right, and i congratulate you for taking a stand. = ] and guess what i will be able to vote the at the next expected election, and until this year i didn't think that there was a point to voting, but i now know i need to stand up for what i believe in because there is so many people that will not, and i don't want to sit on the side lines. :) god gave me a voice, and it will be heard. so thank you for this. :)

John, Christina, Hannah, Aspen, Brooke, and Taylor said...

Oh Bryan how I love you BUT... If the 10% was global warming or banning outdoor smoking nationwide, I'd probably feel the same as you! But it's not any of those fixable things... It's killing of innocent babies. And that is why the 10% counts so much this time.

John, Christina, Hannah, Aspen, Brooke, and Taylor said...

P.S. Bryan... When are you coming to Idaho? Get out here! =)