Friday, May 16, 2008

My mom is going to be a nurse again!

Yep that's right I am! I have taken an on call position at the hospital just 3 miles from our house and am very excited! I will be working 1 day a week in addition to any extra hours I would like. This has been a pretty tough decision, but John and I know that it is the right one. As Hannah grows older and I am often pushed out of the house by her so that she can have fun with her Dad I know that the timing is right since she will spend my days away with him. Here is a link to the hospital I will be working: http://www.mercynampa.org/services/pediatrics.html Pediatrics will be my primary home, but I will be assisting with deliveries and taking care of Mom's and babies after they are born when the census in Peds is low.
It has been almost 1 1/2 yrs since I have practiced any type of nursing besides the kind that every Mom does and the occasional phone call from a family member hoping to get some advice. I absolutely love nursing and although it was easy to walk away from it to stay home with Hannah, I knew eventually I'd go back. Eventually just came sooner than expected. I have no intentions on working fulltime until we are done having kids and they are in full day school, but it is a relief to know I will be able to keep my skills up in the meantime.

And as our family begins to follow the plans for our lives we know one day it will be to the mission fields where I will be able to carry my skills there in addition to John's building skills. It has always been in my heart. Every since I was a little girl. I used to dream about going on an African safari and would even register to win trips to Africa under my parents names without them knowing. And although that dream has changed a little (I would love to go on a Safari, but I'm willing to just check out the elephants and such from a distance while on a medical mission!) it is still there coming closer and closer to the surface. It would be a little difficult to go on a medical mission when I haven't practiced nursing for 6 years! So I am in Love with the opportunities this job is providing both now and in the future.

4 comments:

The Cravens said...

I can't really see you guys as great missionaries! I am sure that you will enjoy getting back into nursing and Hannah and John will really benefit from their special time together!

My little sister, Katie, took our family photos...I think she did a great job!

Knittin Ko said...

hi!

Slight poo poo on your previous commenters. I think it's interesting to see your faith grow as you write on this blog, since it was something you were so distant from way back when. It just goes to show that God can do some cool things. If being a missionary is something you desire in your future, even if it is hard for others to imagine, I don't doubt you will be great missionaries. It just takes that small teensy bit of faith and great things can happen. I'm learning this from my journey as a Summer Camp Director...

Congrats Christina on your new job!

John, Christina, Hannah, Aspen, Brooke, and Taylor said...

Hey AeJin! My initial reaction was just like yours and then I saw who the comment was from... I'm pretty close to 100% positive it was a slip of the finger without a re-read of the comment prior to posting it! And Tiya I believe you meant that you "can" see us as great missionaries! If not, lets talk and you can tell me why not! ;)

Knittin Ko said...

Ha! Good catch Christina! I guess you know your friends much better than I do... I was thinking, "how dare they..." and "well, let me tell you what i think about that". Pretty funny. Gotta love the electronic age these days...